Endodontic Treatment for Children
How old suitable age for children to do a root treatment?
Baby teeth typically are shed between the ages of 6 and 12 years. Yet there are some good reasons for trying to save baby teeth for as long as possible with root canal treatment, rather than simply extracting any that are damaged by trauma or infection.
Your child may need an endodontic treatment if he or she:
Feels pain in a tooth at any time, for no apparent reasons
Has a tooth that is very sensitive to temperature changes
Has a broken tooth with exposed pulp
Root Canal Treatment
What is a root canal?
When the pulp of a tooth becomes badly damaged by decay, multiple or deep restorations, or trauma it may have to be removed in order to retain the tooth.
What causes a root canal?
• A deep cavity
• A cracked tooth
• A broken tooth
• Repeated dental procedures to the same tooth
• Severe injury to the tooth
What are the symptoms that root canal therapy is needed?
• Severe toothache pain when chewing or applying pressure to the affected tooth
• Prolonged sensitivity
• Discoloration (a darkening) of the tooth
• Swelling and tenderness in the nearby gums